Celebrate Golden Jubilee of St. Bernard
The Breda News, August 19, 1931, Vol. 26, No.
STAGE IS SET FOR GALA DAY THURSDAY
Arrangements are Completed to Observe fiftieth
Anniversary - Mass Celebrated at 9:30 O'Clock
Priests and sisters; Many Former Resident as
Well As Visitors From Various Places Will Be Here Tomorrow To
Do Honor To The Occasion
marks an epoch in time when St. Bernard parish of Breda observes
its Golden Jubilee. Fifty years have passed since the parish was
organized by the sturdy pioneers who with the assistance of Msgr.
W. A. Pape, now pastor of St. Joseph's Parish church at LeMars,
completed the details necessary so that divine services could
be conducted in Breda.
Right: St. Bernard's Church and School. Click
image to enlarge
Since that time many pastors have labored faithfully
to keep up the parish. Sisters of the Franciscan order at LaCross
[sic] came to teach in the parochial school, and members of the
parish have helped in various ways whenever possible so that the
parish could continue and advance.
Not alone to the pastors and the Sisters must all
the credit be given, for a great credit is also due to the pioneer
settlers in this locality who, after laboring hard and possessed
of but small means gave willingly so that improvements could be
made; thereby setting an example of good will that has been followed
by their children and grandchildren.
have been made from time to time until at present our church,
schools, and home for pastors and Sisters rank well among the
parishes in the Sioux City diocese, and the parish is one of the
largest in the diocese.
St. Bernard Rectory
The News, in behalf of the residents of Breda and
vicinity extends a heary [sic] welcome to all who have the opportunity
of being here on this occasion.
A complete history of the parish as near as available
is being printed in another part of this newspaper today, together
with a number of illustrations and photos of former pastors and
History of St. Bernard Parish
The Breda News, August 19, 1931, Vol. 26, No.
The following history of St. Bernard parish of Breda
has been taken from The Echo of 1931 [Yearbook of St. Bernard
High School]. This history was prepared by the Echo staff, with
the able assistance of many of the older residents and is as near
correct as is possible to give it.
Before attempting to give a history of the parish,
we must go back to 1869, about ten years before the founding of
the congregation, to the time when the first settlers came from
Galena, Illinois, and from Hazelgreen and Dickeyville, Wisconsin,
to establish new homes for themselves on the prairie lands of
western Iowa. Among the early pioneers who came here in 1869 and
1870 were the following: Richard and Henry Ricke, Martin Ludwig,
John LeDuc, Matthew Snyder, William Lammerding, Henry Olerich,
Ben and Clem Knobbe. These men purchased land from the railroad
company for $4 an acre. In Kniest township land was sold through
the agency of Mr. Kniest who founded the Mt. Carmel congregation.
The later settlers paid from $5 to $10 an acre. It was indeed
a barren country at this time. On these prairie lands not ever
a piece of wood as thick as a finger was to be found. Not a tree
was to be seen anywhere. Before many years had elapsed, however,
these lands which were bit a short time ago the hunting ground
of the Indian and the home of the wild beasts, were dotted with
cabins and neatly planted groves of timber and the fruitless prairies
were changed into fertile fields. It took men of nerve and perseverance
to accomplish what these pioneers did. The breaking up of these
new lands was no easy task. With persevering efforts a man could
clear about ten to fifteen acres a season.
After the Chicago fire, in 1871, many people from
Chicago and vicinity flocked to western Iowa and in a short time
Wheatland township was well settled.
These early settlers were for the most part sturdy
Germans and thrifty Hollanders - but all were strong adherents
to the Catholic church. During the first years they found it necessary
to go from seven to fourteen miles through the high grass, mud
and sloughs - there were no reads laid out at that time - to attend
Divine services at Mr. Carmel, where the first Catholic church
in Carroll county was located. In spite of these hardships, many
of the early settlers tell us that they seldom missed Holy Mass
on Sunday, either during the heat of summer or the bitter cold
of the winter. This is sufficient evidence of the sacrifices they
were willing to make for their Faith in those early days. The
children, likewise, had to walk to My. Carmel twice a week to
attend First Holy Communion instructions. Often they were obliged
to take off their shoes and stocking and wade through the water
and mud to reach their destination.
It was not until the Maple River branch of the Chicago
and North Western Railroad was built through Carroll county that
the town of Breda was founded. Before this time marketing conditions
were such that it did not pay to raise more on the farm than was
needed for the household. Mr. Henry Venner, one of the few living
pioneers, who came to Breda in 1874, tells how he bought potatoes
at $1.05 a bushel and planted these. In the fall of the year he
loaded his potatoes on a wagon, took them to Carroll - a whole
day's journey - received 12c a bushel for them. It was the same
with other crops. Mr. John LeDuc bought wheat at $1.10 a bushel
and when he took his wheat to market he received 33c a bushel
for it, after spending an entire day in hauling it all the way
through mud and high grass from his farm to Carroll. We can readily
understand how these pioneer farmers welcomed the founding of
the town of Breda, for, it was not until then that the marketing
conditions were improved and the farmers began to prosper.
The honor of naming the town was give to Mrs. J.
LeDuc, who was among the pioneer settlers. Some suggested the
name St. Clemens; others spoke of Artsville and New Holland, but
finally it was decided to name the town Breda according to Mrs.
Leduc's wish, who named it so on account of a town in Holland
by that name. On October 30, 1877, an election for incorporation
was held and carried by a vote of 36 for and 5 against it. The
first town election was held soon after, which resulted in the
election of the following officers: Frank Salmen, mayor; Joe Kempker,
Clerk; F. J. Schelle, Henry Bruning, Clem Knobbe, Richard Ricke,
and H. N. Lammerding councilmen.
These early Catholics remained affiliated with the
Mt. Carmel parish until the year 1880. There were about sixty
families living in Breda and vicinity at that time. Many of these
good people began to consider the necessity of organizing a parish
of their own. A dispute soon arose as to the location of a Catholic
church. Some preferred to build a church four miles west of Breda,
while others wished to have it in the town of Breda. Accordingly,
Mr. C. Bruning and Mr. D. Fee went to Dubuque to see Rt. Rev.
J. Hennessy about the matter and they also petitioned him for
a resident priest as soon as the church would be ready for use.
The bishop decided that the church should be built in town. Hence,
in 1879, the people set to work, hauled the stone and lumber,
helped to put up the frame structure, thus greatly reducing the
actual cost of the first church building. In a very short time,
the new church was ready for Divine Service.
W.A. Pape, then resident pastor of Carroll, who helped to organize
the congregation side the first mass and held occasional service
until a regular pastor was appointed. Mr. Anton Buchman served
the first Mass, while Mr. August Bruning and Mr. William Wernimont
gave their first Holy Communion candles to be used during the
offering of the first mass. Mr. John Rauch played the organ belonging
to Mr. Clemens Bruning. John J. Knobbe, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ben
Knobbe, was the first child of the parish to be baptized on August
1, 1880. Mrs. Fred Guetz and Mrs. William Geier formed the first
Communion class. Anton Stork and Theresa Lengeling were the first
couple from the parish to be married in St. Bernard church, October
5, 1880. Mrs. William Lammerding, Sr. was the first known person
who was laid to rest in St. Bernard cemetery on March 25, 1882.
Right: The first church
This new congregation, consisting of about 60 families,
was organized under the patronage of St. Bernard and in 1880,
Rev. J. Norton was placed in charge of this little flock. Father
Norton had charge of the pastorates of Breda, Wall Lake, Odebolt,
and Ida Grove and administered faithfully to their spiritual and
wants, but he chose Breda as his place of residence. At the close
of two years of faithful service he had placed the congregation
on a firm footing. He laid out the first cemetery on the land
purchased from Theodore Schulte. The first trustees of the parish
were Mr. Venner and Mr. LeDuc. Mr. Venner continued to hold this
office in St. Bernard parish for forty-five years and many were
the sacrifices he made in behalf of the congregation.
In 1882, Rev. J. Norton was succeeded by Rev. Conrad
Schulte, who continued to be the faithful pastor of St. Bernard
parish until the time of his death, in 1897. Under his pastorate
several noteworthy improvement were made. His first undertaking
was the purchasing of a parish house. He was a very zealous and
self-sacrificing priest and with his own hands built the first
temporary school in which he instructed the children for two years.
In 1884, Father Schulte engaged three Franciscan
Sisters for St. Rose Convent, LaCrosse, Wisconsin, to teach the
school. These first teachers were Sister Mary, Sister Caroline
and Sister Sabastiana. They were ready to make any sacrifice and
to encounter any hardship they might meet with in their new field
of labor. School opened September 1, 1884, with a large enrollment
of pupils of various ages.
In 1886, Father C. Schulte proceeded to erect a
parish house and paid for it himself. Later, during Father Anler's
pastorate, the parish bought the house.
Next he purchased a house and lot for the Sister's
During the first eight years of existence, St. Bernard
parish had flourished to such an extent that the frame church
building proved inadequate for the needs of the steadily increasing
congregation. Under the able leadership of Father Schulte, assisted
by his faithful trustees and with the confidence and hearty cooperation
of the parishioners, plans were begun on the new church in the
beginning of the year 1888, and on June 17, 1888, the corner stone
was laid. On Christmas day of the same year the first High Mass
was offered in the new church. The old frame structure was then
remodeled into a parochial school with three class rooms, and
a small chapel where the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was offered
during the winter months.
Upon the death of Father C. Schulte on September
27, 1897, the bishop appointed Rev. John Anler as the next pastor
of St. Bernard parish. Father Anler resolutely took up the work
in his new field of labor. He cherished a great love and devotion
to the Mother of God and one of his first undertakings in Breda
was the erection of a shrine in honor of Our Lady of Perpetual
This little stone chapel is still much frequented
and so many votive offerings of candles and vigil lights are made
that this favorite shrine is never left in darkness. God and His
Blessed Mother alone know all the favors obtained her through
Mary's intercession. A few years ago the students of St. Bernard
school donated a beautiful stature of the Little Flower of Jesus
who is now also venerated in this chapel.
About this time the interior of the church was redecorated,
a beautiful high altar was donated by a generous lady, Mrs. J.
Ludwig, and an artistically carved communion railing was installed.
In the year 1902, it was evident that more room
was needed to accommodate the ever increasing number of children.
Rev. J. Anler was about to erect a spacious brick school building
when he was transferred to the parish in Early, Iowa and Rev.
G. H. Leuhrsman of Mt. Carmel assumed the duties as pastor of
St. Bernard parish.
Father Leuhrsman carried out his predecessor's cherished
plans and proceeded at once to the erection of the proposed building.
He purchased the F. Van Erdewyk property west of church and through
the hearty cooperation of his parishioners he was enabled to have
the school completed by the fall of 1903. At that time this structure
was one of the finest parochial school building in the state.
It provided for eight spacious class rooms, a large winter chapel
and an auditorium.
Next, Rev. Leuhrsman proceeded to have the old frame
church building moved west of the new church, veneering it with
brick and had it arranged as a convent for the Franciscan Sisters,
then six in number.
Realizing that the church was getting too small
to accommodate the congregation which had increased over two hundred
families, some thought of building an entirely new church. Father
Leuhrsman, however, conceived the plan of enlarging the present
church by tearing out the west wall and building a cross shaped
addition, giving the church its present appearance, with a capacity
sufficient to accommodate the parishioners.
Father Leuhrsman died February 25, 1916, after a
lingering illness and was the second priest to be laid to rest
in St. Bernard cemetery. To his firm and wise administration is
rightfully due the credit of building up the parish and of leaving
it without a cent of debt. He labored faithfully in the vineyard
of the Lord until the age of 79, making untold sacrifices and
trusting to the help of Divine Providence for the success of all
of his noble undertakings.
During Father Leuhrsman's pastorate of thirteen
years, he was assisted in his parish work by a number of able
and active young priests. Father Warzawa, now Chaplain of St.
Anthony hospital, Carroll, Iowa, had the honor of being his first
assistant. Rev. Warzawa was loved by the people and it was with
deep regret that they learned of his appointment as pastor of
another place. He was succeeded here by Rev. Bommenschenkel, whose
health began to fail after ha had been here but a short time and
he was compelled to seek another climate. Rev. J. Friedman was
then appointed assistant pastor. At times he assisted the teachers
in school and took over the algebra and the literature classes
of the ninth grade. Rev. August Meyer, now pastor at maple River,
came next to assist the aged pastor in his priestly duties. He
will long be remembered by the people of Breda to whom he had
endeared himself to his life of faithful service in behalf of
their spiritual welfare. In 1908, he was given a pastorate of
his own and was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Millinger who remained
here from 1908 to 1909. Next came Rev. Marx who likewise remained
for a year. He was succeeded by Rev. M. Stork, who was assistant
for six brief months and was then transferred to another parish.
In 1910 Rev. E.L. Schleyer was appointed as assistant priest of
St. Bernard parish. He labored here faithfully for over four years.
We shall say more about this energetic director of souls at a
later period in the history of the parish. Rev. Leoffelholtz assisted
the aged pastor during his last illness and remained here after
his death to take charge of the parish until the appointment of
a permanent pastor.
On August 1, 1916, Rev. Joseph Schulte, brother
of the late Rev. Conrad Schulte, received the appointment as pastor
of Breda. During his pastorate a number of important improvements
were made on the church and school property. Among the things
of prominence were the remodeling of the parsonage, the redecorating
of the interior of the church, the erecting of new stations of
the cross in oil painting, and accrediting St. Bernard High School
by the State Board of Education, Des Moines, Iowa.
Father Schulte enjoyed the rare privilege of celebrating
the golden jubilee of his ordanation [sic] to the priesthood.
This solemn event took place on May 18, 1927. Fifty little girls
and fifty alter boy in cassocks and surplices together with a
large number of the neighboring clergy, with the Jubilarian, and
Rt. Rev. Edmond Heelan proceeded in solemn procession from the
school to the church where a solemn High Mass was offered with
the Jubilarian as celebrant, Rev. M. Stork, deacon; Rev. G.F.
Wessling, sub-deacon; and Rev. J. Neppl, master of ceremonies.
An appropriate sermon was delivered by Rev. H.G. Hengel, PH.D.
Dinner was served at St. Bernard School to the visiting clergy,
the relative and friends of the Jubilarian, and to the members
of the parish. At 3:00 p.m. a jubilee program was given in the
Breda opera house by the pupils of St. Bernard school.
Father Schulte continued his labors for the salvation
of souls for two more years and was called to his eternal reward
on October 29, 1929.
During the years of his pastorate, he was assisted
in his priestly duties by Rev. Joseph Neppl who is now pastor
at Pomeroy; Rev. R. Graf, who faithfully performed his labors
for souls her for four and a half years, after which time he was
appointed pastor of Oto.
In 1924, Rev. O.A. Dentlinger was appointed to assist
Father Schulte who had been his former pastor at Arcadia. He labored
here zealously for over four years. Special credit is due to him
for the never failing interest he took in the activities of the
student of St. Bernard high school and in the spiritual welfare
of the parish. In July 1928, Father Dentlinger received a promotion
and was transferred to Sac City where he is laboring as the zealous
pastor of the little flock entrusted to him.
Rev. W.F. Buchholz was here to comfort Father Schulte
in his declining years and was appointed temporary pastor of St.
Bernard parish after the death of Father Schulte until the appointment
of a permanent pastor. Father Buchholz was a capable and tireless
worker. He took and active interest in St. Bernard's mixed choir
and was always ready to assist the teachers in the education and
religious instructions of the pupils. He is at present assistant
pastor at Remsen, Iowa.
Rev. E.L. Schleyer was born on June 23, 1883, in
Chilton, Wisconsin. He received his early education in the parochial
school of St. Joseph church in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. At the age
of fourteen, he entered St. Francis Seminary and there completed
his classical and philosophical course. After having taken a year
of theology at St. Francis Seminary, he completed his theological
studies abroad at the Royal University of Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria.
He was ordained to the priesthood on July 27, 1910. His first
appointment was that of assistant in the Cathedral parish of Sioux
City and after six months he was transferred to Breda, Iowa, where
he remained the faithful assistant to Father Leuhrsman for four
years. In 1914, he became pastor of the Moorland parish of Our
Lady of Good Council. In the fall of 1916, he took charge of the
parish of Maryhill near Cherokee, and after a brief stay of seven
months, he was given the parish of St. Mary's at Danbury where
he endeared himself to the parishioners during his pastorate of
thirteen years. In December 1929, Rev. Bishop Heelan appointed
Father Schleyer as pastor of St. Bernard parish in Breda.
In the brief time that Father Schleyer has been
with us he has been very zealous and active in ministering to
the spiritual and temporal needs of the flock entrusted to him.
One of his first great undertakings was the redecorating of the
altars in the church. During the summer of 1930 he began the erection
of the parsonage, located south of the church. The money was subscribed
for and practically paid before the building was completed which
is a credit to Father Schleyer's financial ability and a testimony
of the good will of his parishioners. The old parsonage was soon
after remodeled into three class rooms for the grades and several
apartments for boarders.
Father Schleyer likewise takes an active interest
in the education of youth and has provided for the continuance
of Catholic high school education in his parish. Daily he gives
religious and ethical instructions to the high school students,
thus leading them on to follow the path of virtue and righteousness.
Rev. B. Eischeid is Father Schleyer's faithful assistant
at the present time. He is actively engaged in giving religious
instructions in the grade school and church history in the high
school. The high school students are likewise grateful to him
for the active interest he has taken in their athletic sports.
Due to Father Escheid's zealous efforts the school now has organized
teams in basketball, baseball and tennis.
At the present time St. Bernard parish numbers 1100
souls, and is one of the largest country parishes in the Sioux
City diocese. Perhaps the only means we have of judging of the
spiritual progress in by the large numbers we see approaching
the Communion railing every Sunday.
The town of Breda, too, is one of the finest towns
of its size in the state of Iowa. It has a population of 481.
Many of the resident are retired settlers who are now enjoying
a quiet and peaceful life in town in order to be able to assist
more frequently at Holy Mass on week days, and receive Holy Communion
frequently, or daily, if possible.
The history of St. Bernard parish would be incomplete
is we did not make mention of the many religious vocations that
this parish has produced. Three young men are now zealous priests,
namely: Rev. G.F. Wessling, pastor at Wesley, Iowa; Rev. M. Stork,
pastor at Arcadia, Iowa; Rev. A. Wand, S.J., who is now librarian
of the Jesuit Community in Rome, Italy. Zeno Reising is at present
time making his theological studies at Kenrich Seminary in preparation
for the holy priesthood.
Thirty-three young ladies from this parish have
answered the call to a life of perfection in the religious state
Those who jointed the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration,
LaCrosse, Wisconsin, are the following:
Sister M. Aegidia (Pauline Rust); Sister M. Humiliana
(Anna Meinen); Sister M. Veridiana (Anna Wernimont); Sister M.
Callista (Anna Bedel); Sister M Aquiline= (Henrietta Feldman);
Sister M. Emma (Elizabeth Langeling); Sister M. Mildred (Clara
Polking); Sister M. Philippine (Mary Knobbe); Sister M. Hendrina
(Mary Venner); Sister M. Marcella (Catherine Bruggenkamp).
Sister M. Imeldis (Dorothy Tacke); Sister M. Sebastian
(Clara Waltz); Sister M. Florina (Elizabeth Nieland); Sister M.
Tarcisia (Catherine Determan); Sister M. Madeleine (Agnes Snyder);
Sister M. Engratis (Emma Tacke); Sister M. Alphonsine (Anna Wand);
Sister M. Sigmunda (Helena Nieland); Sister M. Lina (Mathilda
Putz); Sister M. Benita (Bernadina Bruggenkamp).
Sister M. Mamerta (Theresa Wand); Sister M. Antona
(Mary Wand); Sister M. Gabina (Josephine Schroeder); Sister M.
Christiana (Mary Schroeder); Sister M. Dolora (Clara Dirkx); Sister
M. Anthusa (Cecelia Nieland); Sister M. Myra (Christina Stork);
Sister M. Emerentia (Cecelia Reising); Sister M. Angeline (Helen
Van Erdewyk); Sister M, Imelda (Caroline Tacke).
Young ladies who have joined other communities are:
Sister M. Merita, O.S.F., Dubuque, Iowa, (Theresa Wempe); Sister
M. Adalrica, S.V.D., Techny, Illinois (Rose Wernimont); Sister
M. Colette, B.V.M, Dubuque, Iowa, (Clara Feldman).
Many Attend Golden Jubilee Celebration
The Breda News, August 26, 1931, Vol. 26, No.
Mass At 9:30 O'clock By Rev. M. Stork - Impressive
Sermon by Re. G. F. Wessling - Church Was Beautifully Decorated
in Gold and White Streamers
FORMERS RESIDENTS HERE FROM MANY STATES - AN
Weather conditions were ideal, in fact no pleasanter
day could have been selected for the celebration of the golden
jubilee of St. Bernard parish, which was duly observed last Thursday.
The day's activities opened at 9:30 o'clock in the
morning. A procession was formed at the school consisting of fifty
small boys and girls dressed in white and carrying golden emblems,
a number of altar boys with Orlin Klaus as cross bearer and Zeno
Reising and Clemens Knobbe as acolytes, followed by members of
the clergy entered the church. A solemn high mass was offered
by Rev. M. Stork of Arcadia as celebrant; Rev. R. Graf of Alvord
as deacon; Rev. Joseph Neppl of Pomeroy as sub-deacon; Rev. Cleo
Ivis of Coon Rapids as master of ceremonies, and Rev. O.A. Dentlinger
of Sac City as thurifier.
The church was artistically decorated with gold
and white streamers which were hung from the ceiling to the various
pillars of the church. The balcony, entrance and the pulpit were
also gracefully adorned. The altars were a mass of beauty trimmed
with yellow tea roses and gladiolas, and surrounded by a wealth
Mass in G by Zangle was sung by St. Bernard mixed
choir. Jubilate Deo by Wilkins was rendered during the offertory.
Mass was followed by benediction. While St. Bernard's choir has
often been highly compliments for their splendid singing and has
been in demand on other occasions, it seems that they excelled
all other occasions at this eventful time and they were highly
complimented by many of those who had the good fortune to hear
The sermon was given by Rev. G.F. Wessling of Wesley,
Iowa. Father Wessling is a former Breda boy of whom this community
has a just reason to feel proud. He has developed into and excellent
speaker and his text selection for this occasion was very appropriate.
His sermon held the keenest interest of all who where within hearing
distance and while the church was filled to overflowing and many
were unable to gain entrance all entrances were crowded and his
well trained voice could be plainly heard outside the church.
Following are the names of the other members of
the clergy present on this occasion: Rt. Rev. Msgr. Wm. Pape,
LeMars; Rt. Rev. J.D. Fish, Bancroft; Rev. M. Schemel, Alton;
Rev. A Schaefer, Odebolt; Rev. P. Warzawa, Carroll; Rev. B.H.
Leoffelholtz, St. Benedict; Rev. J. McAuliffe, Auburn; Rev. J.M.
Mallinger, Grand Junction; Rev. M. Marx, Kingsley; Rev. D.K. Hurley,
Anthon; Rev. M. Bradley, Carroll; Rev. J.J. Keane, Manning; Rev.
L.F. Schoeppner, Granville; Rev. Jos. Cordes, Carroll; Rev. G.M.
Cesua, Sioux City; Rev. W.F. Buchholz, Remsen; Rev. E.C. Meyers,
Milford; Rev. O.J. Forester, Rock Valley; Rev. J. F. Achatz, Rockwell
City; Rev. J. H. Schultes, Churdan; Rev. A.S. Poeckers, Carroll;
Rev. H. F. Pick, Tempelton; Rev. L. A. Schenkelberg, Carroll;
Rev. J. Howley, Fonda; Rev. J.J. Berger, Sioux City; Rev. John
Meyers, Fulda, Minn.; Rev. D. J. Heelan, Fonda; Rev. C. Huelshorst,
Dedham; Rev. B. Schillmoeller, Halbur; Rev. James Slattery, Wall
Lake; Rev. M.C. Wendl, Spencer; Rev. L. B. Anthofer, Roselle;
Rev. J. L. Fitzpatrich, Boone; Rev. P, M. Mattes, Scranton; Rev.
Thos. M. Clare, Rev., J.J. Dalhoff, Early; Rev. J. P. McGuire,
Ute; Rev. E. J. Jungblut, Danbury; Rev. J. A. Roder, Akron; Rev.
Geo. O'Brien, Humbolt; Rev. D. A. Tewell, Rolfe; Rev. E.L. Schleyer,
pastor of St Bernard parish, Breda; Rev. B. Eischeid, assistant
Sisters present who were formerly members of St.
Bernard parish: Sister M. Aegidia (Pauline Rust), Sister M. Humiliana
(Anna Meinen), Sister M. Veridiana (Anna Wernimont), Sister M.
Callista (Anna Bedel), Sister M. Alicia (Anna Rust), Sister M.
Emma (Elizabeth Langeling), Sister M. Mildred (Clara Polking),
Sister M. Philippine (Mary Knobbe), Sister M. Hendrina (Mary Venner),
Sister M. Marcella (Catherine Bruggenkamp), Sister M. Imeldis
(Dorothy Tacke), Sister M. Sebastian (Clara Waltz), Sister M.
Florina (Elizabeth Nieland), Sister M. Tarcisia (Catherine Determan),
Sister M. Madeleine (Agnes Snyder); Sister M. Engratis (Emma Tacke),
Sister M. Sigmunda (Helena Nieland), Sister M. Benita (Bernadina
Bruggenkamp), ); Sister M. Gabina (Josephine Schroeder), Sister
M. Christiana (Mary Schroeder), Sister M. Dolora (Clara Dirkx),
Sister M. Anthusa (Cecelia Nieland), Sister M. Myra (Christina
Stork), Sister M. Emerentia (Cecelia Reising), Sister M. Angeline
(Helen Van Erdewyk), Sister M, Imelda (Caroline Tacke).
Sisters from the neighboring parishes who were here
are: Sister M. Marcelina and Sister M. Bertildis of St. Benedict,
Sister M. Cleopha, Sister M. Germaine, Sister M. Deodata, Sister
M. Damiana, Sister M. Leonilla, Sister M. Augusta, Sister M. Clementine,
Sister M. Winanda, Sister M. Florence, Sister M. Justiniana, Sister
M. Theobalda, Sister M. Viatora, Sister M. Georgine, Sister M.
Dola, Sister M. Eustace, Sister M. Magdalene, Sister M. DePadua,
Sister M. Barbara, Sister M. Herbertine, Sister M. Ellen, Sister
M. Adelphia, Sister M. Gratia, Sister M. Lumina, Sister M. Ludmilla,
Sister M. Alvera, Sister M. Benildis, Sister M. Protase, Sister
M. Dionysia, Sister M. Seraphia, Sister M. Magdella, Sister M.
Gregory, Sister M. Albina, Sister M. Theolinda, Sister M. Laurentine,
Sister M. Alverna, Sister M. Colleta, Sister M. Syra, Sister M.
Eulalia, Sister M. Vita, Sister M. Priscilla, Sister M. Bonfilia,
and thirteen home Sisters: Sister M. Baptista, Sister M. Henrietta,
Sister M. Firma, Sister M. Clavera, Sister M. Freda, Sister M.
Matilda, Sister M. Assisi, Sister M. Reginata, Sister M. Austina,
Sister M. Annina, Sister M. Colletine, Sister M. Francilia, Sister
Chicken dinner and supper was served by the ladies
of the parish. It is estimated that about 1100 were served at
The afternoon and evening was spent by members of
the congregation and many visitors in renewing acquaintances and
enjoying the various forms of entertainment arranged by them.
Music both afternoon and evening was provided by
the Breda Concert orchestra. This orchestra has been doing nicely
under the direction of Chas. B Jones, Jr., who is a very good
director and all members show a keen interest in the work. Many
complimentary remarks were heard about the orchestra music, and
this organization is deserving of the best cooperation of all.
The baseball game between Maple River and Breda
which was one of the feature attractions, was won by Breda by
the score of 15 to 1.
It was a pleasure to note that all plans and preparations
were carried out in perfect order. There was not a hitch anywhere
to mar the eventful day, and all present will long remember the
event which they had the good fortune to take part in.
While it was hoped that Rt. Rev. Bishop Heelan could
be present he was unable to come because of another important
This writeup would not be complete without making
some mention of the pioneers who helped organize the parish. As
near as we can learn there are only five men left who took an
active part in organizing the parish and they are: F. J. Schelle,
Henry Ahrling, Leo Fix, Henry Venner and Henry Nieland.
The gross proceeded of the day was about $2,400,
and the net receipts were $1,664.55.
back to History