Support for the Forest Chapel
Borkener Zeitung, January 22, 2005
Promotional association founded in 1998 / Donations
Reken (mge). Maybe it's not the
organization with the largest membership in the community, but
the work of the forest chapel promotional association is visible
to all who come to this place of worship in the forest. And that's
not just a few, as Bernadette Nieland-Felgenhauer
determines every year.
Photo caption: Bernadette Nieland-Felgenhauer
and Engelbert Roters are active for the forest chapel.
Click image to enlarge
More than 18,000 votive candles
are lit annually, she says. And there are even more people who
come to pray or meditate in the historic place without lighting
a candle. Of course, the appointment calendar for Masses and devotions
is particularly full for May. Then the church songs carry especially
far through the forest.
The members of the group,
which was created in 1998 under the direction of Pastor Michael
Schönherr, ensure that the site is well maintained. In addition
to Bernadette Nieland-Felgenhauer,
other board of directors members are cashier Theo Illerhues, deputy
Bernhard Korte and secretary Anneliese Schulte-Tenbohlen.. The
latter name is also connected closely with the chapel, for it
stands on the former grounds of the Tenbohlen farm (Borkener Zeitung
reported). Hubert Tenbohlen recently put out a chronicle of the
farm that also includes a history of the chapel and the Eremitage.
In 1686 the first place of
worship was erected at the site of a spring known for its curative
powers. Five people found a roof over their head there. In 1742
the chapel was enlarged and living quarters were built. Over the
course of several changes and renovations through the years the
current chapel with the Eremitage evolved. "We first
got electricity in 1981," says Engelbert Roters, who grew
up here with his family, which has lived here and cared for the
outside facilities for four generations.
The Borkener Zeitung has
regularly reported on the larger work around the chapel, for example,
erection of the altar in the front of the chapel with the Christ
figure and seating. A procession path was started; however, at
present there isn't enough money to complete the work. Renovation
of the outside door is urgently needed. They have permission from
the Lower Monument Authority and a craftsman is also ready to
begin in March the new door should be installed. The old
one will go to the Reken local history society.
has a another desire: The windows are multicolored and lead-glass
in the lower part. For cost reasons only the upper part will probably
be of simple structure glass. That would, in her opinion, have
to be modified. Anyone who would like to support the association
or wants more information can contact the chairman of the promotional
association, who can be reached at Tel. 02864/5335. Donation account:
Spadaka Reken 1035,767,900 or Westmünsterland Savings Bank.
A Perfect Copy
Borkener Zeitung, March 16, 2005
Heini Schöttler and Berni Rathmann build
new entrance for the forest chapel
Reken (rpl). The heavy entry door of the Reken
forest chapel has been on the stoop for around 170 years
and with barely a trace of the ravages of time. But re-varnishing
it over and over had left it a weathered dark brown, the individual
panels of the door had separated and had been temporarily repaired
with wood filler, and the boards were bolted to protect them against
Caption: The old door has seen about
170 years of faithful service. Yesterday the forest chapel got
a new door. The old one will find a new place in the local history
museum. On Saturday at 8:30 a.m. the new entrance will be consecrated.
Click image to enlarge.
So it was time for a change,
thought the leaders of the "forest chapel promotion association."
As part of the bigger renovation planned in the preceding year,
the little church in the forest received a sparkling brand-new
door this week. Together Berni Rathmann and Heini Schoettler constructed
a new oak door for the entrance of the chapel to the great
joy of Bernadette Nieland-Felgenhauer and Theo Illerhues of the
forest chapel promotion association, who enthusiastically examined
the successful work right on the spot.
Exactly modeled after the
old door understood Heini Schöttler, who had already also
done the carvings for the benches inside the chapel, before making
the new door gratis. In addition, the necessary oak wood
had been donated to a large extent by a Reken farmer. And the
door got its handle from its predecessor because the small bronze
statue, "The Condemnation of Jesus," should remind
future visitors to the chapel that it is a hallowed place.
As for the old door, its
days are not over. According to Bernd Hensel and Hermann Eiling
of the Reken local history society, for the time being the historic
piece will find a worthy home in the museum at the old mill.
to History Page